Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Workflow Errors on MOSS 2007

We have a MOSS 2007 Developer box. Actually it’s a training box and we give it to anyone wanting to learn and do some hands on for SharePoint 2007. With so many people using it and experimenting, shit happens and SharePoint on the machine is often broken. It’s not a Virtual Environment, and I cannot easily revert back to base configuration L
But I try to take it positively and tell myself “Fixing it is a good learning exercise” J
The Workflows on the machine were broken, and we were getting some errors in SPD. Below is a description of the errors and the resolution to fix it.
Error 1: On creating a new workflow using SharePoint Designer, it gave a popup message:
The list of workflow actions on the server references an assembly that does not exist. Some actions will not be available. The assembly strong name is ....
Obviously, the assembly did not exist in GAC. But I did not have the public key token to recreate it.
Resolution:
Check the following folder for custom .actions files:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow

By default, there should be only two files in the folder:
moderationworkflow.xml
WSS.ACTIONS
In my Training box, there were many additional .actions files like MySubStringActivity.actions.
I deleted all the custom files in the folder (after backup) and tried to create a new workflow again.
I still got the error. After some additional digging and semi-frustration, I did an IISReset. The error went away after the IISReset. SharePoint seems to cache them. Key is to do an IISReset after updating or deleting .actions file.
Error 2: After adding some valid steps in my workflow and clicking Finish, it gave the message:
“Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.”
Resolution:
I checked event logs, SharePoint logs, but nothing useful was being logged.
I opened my web.config, and Under <System.Workflow.ComponentModel.WorkflowCompiler>, <authorizedTypes> , noticed the following entry:
<authorizedType Assembly="Nintex.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=913f6bae0ca5ae12" Namespace="Nintex.Workflow.*" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />
We are not using Nintex in any of our current projects, but it’s a Training machine and someone must have tried it out. I am not saying Nintex breaks its. Its one of our developers, but we dont keep track of who does what on a Training box. I removed the authorizedType  Nintex.Workflow line, saved the web.config  and tried again.
I can now successfully create the workflows using SharePoint Designer. My Training box for MOSS 2007 is working again…for now.

No comments: